Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Plone for ACM.org

So, I noticed today this article on Planet Plone. Indeed, as I understand it, we are planning to launch Plone for the ACM and, progressively, all of acm.org's counterparts and the sites of any sub-organizations such as SIGGRAPH, SIGCHI, and conceivably SIGWEB as interested. Consequently, ACM SIGWEB has the only website I've ever seen which is not Plone, and advertises compliance with Accessibility Standards.

In any case, we are actually not running a public beta. The site at plonebeta.acm.org is simply a demo I have produced for the ACM IS team, and a place where I can demonstrate various products. Membership is closed, though it will eventually be open to all ACM Members, and many tools which could eventually be available to members may not be available to the public.

I just want to be up-front about this. From what I know, I don't think this was published in response to any announcement from the ACM, but more likely based on our url being in bug reports and being discussed on #plone. I love viral marketing, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. We certainly do plan to announce a public beta in January and to sponsor future Plone events and conferences.

BTW, someone commented on the speed of Plone. Just this morning I dumped a diatribe of thoughts on Python and Zope-style application development, based on my thoughts over the past five or six years. Curious parties can read the living document here.

1 comment:

knowlengr said...

Beta looking good.

Can you share anything about the process by which Plone was selected over other approaches? The existing ACM site, from the outside looking in, wasn't bad, so I assume there were other issues.

-Mark
(we just deployed Plone for www.pandemicsimulation.com at Applied Visions. Inc.